Tiny Magnet Ingestion Can Even Be Fatal

product liability lawyers

A number of recent recalls have involved tiny magnets that can be ingested by children causing serious injuries. New data also seems to indicate to personal injury lawyers that ingestion of these magnets can not only injure the child, but can also be fatal.

A number of recent recalls have involved tiny magnets that can be ingested by children causing serious injuries.  New data also seems to indicate to personal injury attorneys that ingestion of these magnets can not only injure the child, but can also be fatal.

The danger arises when a small magnet that comes with a toy becomes detached.  A child may be drawn to the round shiny magnet, and put it in his or her mouth.  Accidental ingestion can cause the magnet to be lodged in the child’s intestines, where it can cause intestinal perforation.  This is a serious condition, and can even cause death of the child, unless an emergency surgery is performed.  In most cases, the magnet can only be removed after performing the surgery.

Researchers from the Louisiana State University Health Center recently found that more than 79% of children who were involved in magnet ingestion accidents, and swallowed neodymium magnets had to undergo surgery or other invasive procedure in order to remove the magnet.  These invasive procedures include endoscopic procedures.  The difference when a child swallows a magnet and when he swallows any other object is that in most other cases, the other object is eliminated naturally through the system.  Researchers found that in 31% of the cases of magnet ingestion, the child was treated using surgery, while in 43% of the cases, a second invasive procedure was also performed.

The researchers found that in only 21% of the cases, the child was treated by pumping the stomach or observation.

This is one more reason for parents to be extremely cautious when they have these magnet-containing toys lying around the house.  These risks arise not just with the magnets that come with children’s toys, but also with magnet desktop toys for adults.  Very often, parents don’t realize that magnets from these adult desktop toys can also be ingested by children with serious health consequences.

 

One of our Meeting Locations: The Reeves Law Group 1 World Trade Center #800, Long Beach, CA 90831 (562) 528-3135

Comments

Comments are closed.

Go to top